Monday, September 03, 2007

Iowas 5th Annual 24hrs of 7 Oaks Recap

Friday:

I rolled into the parking lot late Friday morning. Word on the net was after our last heavy rain fall a couple of the bridges that opened up another mile and a half loop of single track had been moved by the flooding waters. Brutha Kyle had stated that we may have too cut that 1.5 out of the race......like hell I said....we'll get the man power and all will be fine. Think positive my young man:) Around noon Ron showed up and we went down to the bottoms to asses the situation. Upon finding the largest bridge(5'x24')some 300+ yards away from its nest, resting in the creek, the ground still in such a saturated state that we light weights where leaving 2inch deep foot prints in the mud.....this could be an interesting save:)
Ron, Kyle and I jump in to see if the 3 of us could wrestle that biatch up to the top of the bank. With a little hard effort we succeeded in our part....now we just needed a few more hands to gett'r back home. That would have to come later as nobody else was at the venue. Meanwhile we had to put the other bridge in its place too, so I helped those mates gett'r in place then I boogied back too set up camp while Ron and Kyle put the finishing touches on entrance and exit. Upon getting back to the parking lot Jeff, Craig and Steve had showed up and the beer proceeded to flow that afternoon through the evening. After a few cocktails it was time to put in a lap to make sure all was good on the trail and find out what I was looking at for a pace lap time. I rolled in after a 49:23 lap, feeling happy with that pace.

a shot of one bridge back where it should be, and to the left of that bridge there should be a much larger one......

After me lap we proceeded to drink some more beers around the fire, then I through down an ass load of pasta, some garden sauce and a couple cans of mushrooms......night time:) It was before 11pm.....I think:)

Saturday:

6:30am....damn wheres the IB Profen....my head hurts a little bit:) Up and out the door to this


a very heavy fog.....just like me head felt when I opened me eyes:) Load up and head into the County Kitchen Buffet:) Sausage,eggs,hash browns, 3 pieces of french toast, and a couple cups O' coffee....all is good. A Wal-mart/Hy-Vee run for last minute goods....I needed some mixed fruits, and Utter butter for me new tatt:) Back at the venue folks started showing up for the days festivities...Andy had made it up with the rest of our recking crews set up......we Rassy mates are purdy damn lucky to have Greg Rasmussen backing our asses...cause when we roll to this event we look so PRO:) All the usual peeps where setting up with some new mates too. G-Ted, Blue, Blue's youngest boy...sorry I'm terrible with names...although the mate had some kick ass ink, and Blue's other son Carl, then there was Ashton Kutcher.....well ok not really but Brent sure would make a kick ass stunt double or some shit:) Andrew Carney and his brother where in attendance.....and these boys like to ride their bikes....like across the damn country:) After a few hello's and what nots we assembled a bridge moving posse.
Load up the jeep with Blue, Craig, Steve, Andy and I then head to the bottoms via the short cut. We drive the jeep down a rutted up, tall grassy, barely visible entrance too the bottom of the first climb. Walk back to the bridge, while Kyle and his load of mates come in right behind us. Let the save begin...

Paul, Andy, Kyle and Blue

just up this little hill and its all good:)

down thee old railroad bed and

who wants to get wet....

all is good.....

Now its around 10:30am and we're off to do the finial prep before game time. Upon leaving our bush whacking drive of ruts Andy gets Kyle's Ford high centered. Damn City Kids:)

just too make it even more funny....the ford ran out of gas waiting for the tow rope:)

No need to change the routine...10mins before our race meeting I pop open a Fat Tire and proceed to go and get me flowers for the Monkey. Lots on me mind....Carl and Andrew where definitely my main competition in my opinion....they are experienced with what was about to follow....I was simply hoping my love of just riding and following what I believe to be common sense in a 24hr.....pace,eat,drink,pace,eat, drink, would bring me home with the win:) This would be my second attempt at a 24hr race, my 4th race of the year....following a plague of mechanicals and injury it seemed. I was about to go where I haven't gone before:) Every thing from here on out is in tiny bits and pieces of a long adventure with some of the best mates around:)

POP! The tube has blown and we're off running, I was 4th to the bike....first lap was faster then I was wanting to run I think it was a 43 and some change...nerves perhaps....wanting to get a lead....hell I don't know. All I knew was I needed to slow it down to survive....second lap I believe MG and I hooked up too ride a little bit together....I dub somewhere...he went by...pulling away from me.....the two solo leaders riding together purdy cool:) Lap 3....all is good....lap 4 towards the top....I see some familiar colors standing off the trail.....bruthas Johnny C and Chad where taking a little safety break.....but of course I say....a little chit-chat and I'm off again....never too stop for longer then a minute or two for food, icy hot, a little rub from Teri, and pills....on lap 8 I ask how I'm setting..... looks like I'm 25mins up on Andrew....I wonder what has happened to Carl.....on 11 I hook back up with MG whom is on his 12th and finial lap.......which was cool as my helmet light had just died and a bar light being ok isn't enough for this trail.....its up, down, twisting, very rarely straight for long....so slow going with just a bar light. We finish it out together.....I stop for the first time.....Basso was at camp I remember...it could have been the 10th lap who knows.....I laid down at 10:40pm....I was starting to drift off the trail in spots.....at Boone you don't want to get off the trail at all or you'll have yourself a flat for sure......Teri woke me at midnight....up and out the door....its cold as a well diggers ass....hook me up with a red bull.... eat some more goods and back on the bike.....not knowing exactly where I was at now..... I tried running a good night pace.....on the climb too the top I run into Andrew with a flat....he had passed me while I sleep...WHEW....I think......then I definitely picked up the pace......I picked up some time not knowing really how much though....lap 13 was blurry

Teri thinks this is around 2am....

...... somewhere in the night I did get hit by a bat...that was a little weird....sonar and all....little fucker:) lap 14....climbing the first series of switchbacks I run into a rider coming back down the trail.....it was Andrew....he'd had more flat problems....a short shake of hands....and saying we're both going home with some $$$.....I was off....with a big fucking smile....this was going to seal the deal and it wasn't even daylight yet....passing Andrew now was giving me a full lap lead and he was heading to the pits.....after lap 15 I had a lap and some change I think by 5:30am....I laid down once more....just too wait for daylight....Nick Wooley was in camp and said he would get me up.....6:20....back up and on the trail....lap 16, and 17 where all good....on my finial lap someone yelled at me your still going....it was from Andrews camp....I just yelled I'm like the fucking energizer bunny.....going up the switchbacks....I was thinking damn that looked like Andrew sitting under a blanket.....upon finishing my 18th lap it was something like 8:20am....and Andrew was sleeping like a little baby under a blanket in his camp chair...I'd put 3 laps into the lead.....mathematically if he didn't get up soon.....I was done.....that whole last lap I was thinking damn I hope that was Andrew and he's going to say "I'm done" when I get back:).....Andrew woke and I went over too ask if he was going to go back out.....he said no....as long as his 2nd place was good.....THANK GOD! I had more laps in me....but why do more when you don't have too.....I was done with 18 laps....mission accomplished:) Hell Yeah! Can you say HAMBURGER ASS:)

I have to thank me crew that helped all through the night....Teri you kicked ass girl, Craig even in your wasted state you came through...as I knew you would. Thad Neil thank you for the Assos cream, my running out made me worry a little bit but you came to the rescue.....remember when your in the shop next time to get a new one and I'll take care of it. Everybody that cheered me on.....even Dave tempting me with beer every lap:) I hope some other mate have photos of the event...Troy I know you have one of me at the race meeting flying the BKB colors drinking me Fat Tire....I want it:) That it mates!

Peace

16 comments:

Mike Howard said...

Great race Squirrel ! and cash Sweet !

bluecolnago said...

that bridge was f'ing heavy!

i didn't realize that kyle's ford ran out of gas. godddddd! that's kinda funny, in a dark sorta way.... poor kyle!

peace out, yo!

Anonymous said...

Sometime during last years 24 race- Where's Squirel? He's gone home someone says. Oh. Ok. Read the blog a couple of days later and I thought, wow that's neat, leaving early because of his concern for his wife. This year: I got to 7-Oaks at 4am Sunday (lonnnggg family road trip) looking for some familair faces, I see Terri and Carl B, where's Squirel? "He's riding." Huh? I check the board and he's got a little lead for 1st place, which he held, with 14 laps at the time.He kept riding to victory. Great Job Squirel!! Are you getting a keg of Fat Tire? Very memorable 2 years at the 7-Oaks 24 hour race. Nick W.

FixieDave said...

Way Cool!

Anonymous said...

way to go! take care of your ham hocks and I'll see you out on the trail when you have an ass again!

Unknown said...

I'm under the weather now with some head cold shit....sucks ass, but resting feels good:) No work today, stayed home to recoup....my head is killing me:( Fat Tire Release Party Saturday Noon at El Bait Shop...you should come Jason:)

Peace

Anonymous said...

yo, I sent you an JC a message at work about another canoe trip -- weekday 19th and 20th on the 'coon! get better! I have to coach soccer saturday . . . let me see what time!

bryan said...

congrats, Squirrel. Great ride.

the original big ring said...

Nicely done Squirrel. 24 hr solos kill you - rest up.
Cheers,
big ring

Mark Savery said...

PAY DAAAAAAAY!

Nice ride bro, way to KILLLLL IT!

Cornbread said...

Fook yeah! Great job buddy!

cvo said...

congrats my brother

Anonymous said...

Nice job. I'll bet the greenbacks help keep some of the pain at bay.

mr. f. g. superman said...

Good ridin sir.

Unknown said...

Thanks Everybody:)

Dicky-you damn straight brutha!

2wheels4strings12ounces said...

Save some skin for an SSWC08 tattoo. SSWC08 is in Northern California in '08.

Peace,
Randle