Monday, March 20, 2006

6hrs. of Landahl........OH MY GOD!!

What a weekend, this trail is so brutaly fun its scary what folks will do to endure the pain. To put this simple.... I bit off more than I wanted too chew at this race. I haven't been training so I wanted to do the 6hr to get as much riding in as possible before Ouachita this coming weekend. Boy that in my opinion now wasn't a wise idea. We started and I was somewhere in the 20's of the pack, by lap 2 I'd caught up with Dennis only to see one of his crashes happen right infront of me. Ended up getting around him, was in a good cadence feeling good thinking shit I just caught Dennis WTF. Shortly after starting the 3rd lap I was in 6th then all went to hell, I picked up a tack and flatted, had everything but a pump, not a big deal I knew someone would help.

Chuck rolles up and helps me out, mean while 15 or so folks have went by. Fixed and I'm rolling again only to pick up a thorn around 3 miles from the first flat. Not having other tube or a pump I catch up with Sweet Jane and borrow a pump to get a little bit of air to limp back to the start, not making it all the way on that little bit of air, I start the walk of I'd say a half mile to get a tube, not too bad considering. Once at the start I get another tube and am rolling off once again. On too lap 4, the arms are starting to cramp and my palms are killing me....WTF I'm getting beat to shit, now I start thinking about recovery time for Ouachita and what Kerkove said, so I make the desision to stop after 4 laps of the race around 35 miles (weak but not a total failure). That desicion wasn't too easy to make, but it will be for the best. Ouachita has more climbing but its not as rough as Landahl over and over. 34x18 will be the choise of gearing for Ouachita. Those of you doing the 24hrs of Landahl.....solo..... good luck:) Dennis had a great race getting 3rd over all in the 6hr. Your rock bro!


Dennis on lap 5


After its all done, he looks rough:)

It was good to see all the faces of the Heartland series again, and to see some locals made it down to the race also, both Kyle's, Mike lebeda, Jane and Chuck, Rob and Marsha, and Taylor. My pussy still hurts...... I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy:)


Peace

11 comments:

Webbies said...

That was a great race, but I feel like I got kicked in the junk!

Neve_r_est said...

Geesh, I asked if you got any GOOD pics. Thats scary.

Unknown said...

that is a good pic. of what you looked like at the end:) See ya thursday bro.

peace

Pete Basso said...

Dennis...you're looking deep into my eyes and getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy...Dude is he hypnotized here or what?

Neve_r_est said...

Stoned...and by stoned I mean literally beaten by stones.

Pete Basso said...

Landahl is one of the toughest courses to ride in a race. In one race there I broke my little toe, had a hip contusion and my elbow had a knot on it the size of a golf ball. Once you get tired there and your skills start to fall apart the rocks slowly creep up on you and put a beatin' on ya.

Anonymous said...

Pussy... I rode that course last year for 5:58.30 with less than an hour on a mountain bike and less than 6 hours on a bike all year. I thought you had more in you than that dude. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Man, I would have expected more from you. Last year, I rode the 6 hour solo on less than 6 hours of riding that whole year and only an hour or so of which was on single-track!

Seriously though - last year was a brutal course. Was it the same this year? Last year I spend the for last half of the race fighting off cramps with copious amounts of caffeine and will power. What made that worse was that the field was so spread out and half the other 6 hour guys had pulled out so there were times where I wouldn't see anybody for 20 minutes or so. It would be cool if they'd start the 3 hour guys in the middle of the race to keep activity throughout.

Good luck down in RKansas this weekend.

Unknown said...

So I bet you where riding gears.... you pussy:) Perhaps if you'd been here smack talk'n me I might have dug deeper, instead of quiting early and drinking Fat Tire:)

Peace

Neve_r_est said...

Different course, longer and rougher than last year. Less climbing though. Also colder than last year.

Anonymous said...

Oh you've got it all wrong, it's do a lap, drink a Fat Tire, do a lap, drink a Fat Tire. :-) And yeah, I'll admit it, I like my gears... One of these days I'll get around to picking up or building a SS. 29'er fully rigid is the plan, whenever I get around to it.

So they did change the course up? Was it a preview for the 24 Hours of Landahl?